Monday, June 21, 2010

Cookie #8 - Froot Loop Cookies

Today's cookie starts a 5 cookie series based on breakfast cereal.  I was inspired by Kellogg's variety pack.  I knew immediately I wanted to make cookies inspired by and, in some cases, using America's favorite breakfast cereals.  I start with Froot Loops.

Definitely in my top five cereals, I love the sweet, fruity taste of Froot Loops.  Imagine my excitement when one of my favorite food blogs, gas●tron●o●my blog featured these Froot Loop cupcakes from The Breakfast Cereal Gourmet by David Hoffman.  I made them that night.  They were fantastic.  The flavor was spot on.  I used that flavor profile and transferred it to a thin, crispy sugar cookie and added a lemon glaze.
The result was a cookie with almost the same texture as a Froot Loop.  My husband is a sucker for any sugary cereal and any thin, crispy cookie. He was in love.  He did think the glaze gave the cookies a little too much sweetness.  Perhaps with the next batch I'll leave out the glaze and place the Froot Loops right on the cookies before baking, just like the cupcakes. 

Froot Loop Cupcakes

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp orange zest
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp taking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Glaze:
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup Froot Loops for decoration (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs, lemon and orange zest, and vanilla. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
Add to butter/egg mixture in small batches whisking well after each addition. 
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
While the cookies are cooling, mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice to make the glaze.  If the glaze is too thin, add more sugar.  Too thick? More lemon juice (or orange juice would work, too)
While the cookies are still slightly warm, pool about a teaspoon of glaze on each cookie and top with a few Froot Loops.

No comments: