Monday, July 19, 2010

Cookie #36 - Kansas Sunflower Cookies

I was so excited about these cookies.  I love sunflower seeds.  Since Kansas' state flower is the sunflower, I knew I had to do a cookie that featured these little nutty gems.  Then I came across this recipe from Midwest Living magazine.  They're sweet and nutty and crunchy and, well, flat.  They turned out very similar to a lace cookie (which I love) only crunchier. 

Then I compared my version to the cookie from the magazine.  They looked nothing alike.  Not even close.  I don't know what I did wrong, but apparently I did something.  Even so, the cookies came out quite yummy and I think I ate half the batch myself. 

















1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup shelled sunflower seeds

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the sugars and beat till combined.
Add the eggs and vanilla to butter mixture, and beat till combined. Using the mixer, beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can. Stir in any remaining flour mixture by hand. Stir in the oats, coconut and sunflower seeds.
Drop the dough by slightly rounded tablespoons about 3 inches apart on several lightly greased cookie sheets lined with foil.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 9 minutes or till lightly browned. Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool. Makes 60 cookies

1 comment:

Selena said...

The same thing happened to me! Maybe the recipe needs more flour?