Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cookie #60 - South Dakota Flax Seed Cookies

South Dakota gave me some trouble. 
I had a difficult time finding something that South Dakota is known for that would translate well into a cookie.  Then, a native South Dakotan (is that a word?) told me that the state grows and abundance of
soy beans and flax seeds. 

I immediately started researching the use of the Omega-3 fatty acid rich flax seed and it's usage in baking.  It's very commonly used in breads - both sweet and savory. 
The ground seed can also be mixed with water and used as a replacement for eggs. 
I also read that using flax seeds tend to draw the moisture out of whatever you're baking and the wet ingredients need to adjusted accordingly. 

I, personally, think flax seeds look like bugs.  I just can't get past that.



I knew I wanted to try to bake a healthier cookie - one you could eat for breakfast. 

I love cookies for breakfast

Right away I thought of oatmeal.  I then started to craft a simple oatmeal cookie with the addition of nutrient rich ground flax seeds.  The seeds need to be ground to fully release those Omega-3 fatty acids.

Then I fell victim to the desiccant powers of the flax seed.

After mixing the dough, it was far too dry and crumbly.  I clumsily formed it into balls and put it in the oven.  I was so disappointed with the dough,
I only baked half and threw the rest in the garbage

These cookies were such a waste of good ingredients.
Or so I thought.
Immediately upon taking them from the oven, my husband was chomping at the bit to try one. 
The cookie was surprisingly moist and chewy.  Slightly sweet and a little crunchy. 
He loved them
I think his heart sank a little when I told him I discarded the rest of the dough. 
I still wasn't convinced.  The texture was fabulous, but I wasn't impressed with the flavor.  I think the next time I make these I may up the sugar and add in some spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg, to the the mix. 

South Dakota Flax Seed Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups ground flax seed*
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 cups oats
2 cups chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cream butter and sugars together.  Mix in ground flax.
Add in eggs and vanilla, mix well to combine.
Sift together flour and baking soda.  Add gradually to butter and egg mixture, stirring well after each addition.
Add in oats and chocolate chips, mix well.
Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and place 2" apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

*I ground my whole flax seeds in my coffee grinder. 

No comments: