Saturday, June 26, 2010

Cookie #13 - Chocolate Wafer Cookie

For the next week, I'll be experimenting with different chocolate flavor combinations.  Some expected, some not so.  When I came across this chocolate wafer cookie recipe, I knew it would be the perfect base.  It's just a simple, plain chocolate cookie and is quite good on it's own.  After adding some other ingredients, I've come up with six different chocolate cookies to share. 

We'll start with the basic chocolate wafer that I found at Smitten Kitchen.  What I especially like about these cookies is that they're made in a food processor, rather than a stand mixer.  So easy.  I made some adjustments to the recipe. 

Chocolate Wafer Cookies from Smitten Kitchen

1 1/2 cups AP Flour

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter cut into cubes
3 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking soda.  Pulse a few times to combine.  Add cubed butter and pulse about 10 times.  Combine milk and vanilla and add to mixture while food processor is on.  Continue mixing until dough forms a ball around the blade.
Transfer dough to a bowl and knead to be sure the mixture is well combined.  Shape into a 14" log and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or waxed paper.  Chill dough at lease 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Slice dough to desired thickness (I did mine 1/4") and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheets, about an inch apart. 
Bake 13-15 minutes, rotating cookie sheets halfway through the baking time.  As Smitten Kitchen describes, the cookies will puff up and then deflate.  They are done when they've deflated.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my gosh - my stepdaughter makes these, or something very similar. I didn't even know they were worth eating until I had them homemade!

Jill said...

Oh! Visiting from 2peas, btw!