Monday, August 23, 2010

Cookie #63 - Texas Chocolate Cowboy Cookies

Yee haw! 
When I floated my first Texas cookie idea to a few Texans I know, I got the big thumbs down.  You see, my original idea was to make a sweet onion cookie
Something savory, of course. 
So, I reluctantly abandoned the idea and moved on.
Most Texans said:  "You have to use pecans!" 
or
"You have to make Cowboy Cookies!"

Cowboy cookies? 
Never heard of 'em. 

So I researched them and discovered they're basically a chocolate chip cookie with pecans and a myriad of other things thrown in.  Some have oats, some have coconut. 
These have cocoa powder, pecans, chocolate chips and toffee bits. 
After baking my version of the Cowboy Cookie, my husband declared they were the best chocolate cookie he's ever tasted.
Now, I know he's biased. 
I did make one sans pecans so I could taste it and it was a pretty darn good cookie.

Texas Chocolate Cowboy Cookies

1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup toffee bits

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cream shortening and sugars together.  Mix in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Mix in vanilla.
In a small bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
Add flour mixture to shortening mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Stir in pecans, chocolate chips and toffee bits until well encorporated.
Drop by rounded tablespoons full 2" apart on parchment line baking sheets.
Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments: