Friday, June 18, 2010

Cookie #5 - Jam Thumbprints

I know several people who love these cookies because they remind them of their childhood.  I never had them until I was an adult. 

What I especially love about this cookie is the various flavor combinations you come up with just by changing the jam and nuts.  For this batch I used almonds and raspberry jam.  I'm told this is the traditional flavor.  I started thinking about various other flavors I could use.....my imagination went wild and I had to come back down to Earth so I could concentrate on these.

The cookie I made is a combination of several recipes I've tried over the years.  I've found this makes and excellent base for the jam.  It's not too rich, not too bland.  Not too hard, not too soft.  Yum. 

Jam Thumbprints

1 cup softened butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
3 1/2 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 egg white, beaten with about 2 tbsp cool water
1/2 cup raspberry jam (or jam of choice)
1 cup crushed almonds (or nut of choice

Beat butter and sugars together until creamy.  Add egg and beat well. Add vanilla.
In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. 
Add to butter/egg mixture, alternating between milk and flour, always beginning and ending with flour.  Mix on low speed after each addition until well combined.  Chill dough for at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roll dough intol 1 1/2 balls.  Roll balls in egg wash and then nuts.  Place on baking sheet. 
Using your thumb, make a depression in the center of each cookie. 

Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden. 

Immediately out of the oven, press the back of your 1/2 Teaspoon measuring spoon into the depression you made with your thumb.  You must do this while the cookies are still warm so they don't crack.  Fill each depression with jam.  Transfer to a wire rack to cook completely. 

I did to about four cookies from this batch with a little Nutella.  Super yum and just what I needed.

No comments: