Sunday, June 20, 2010

Cookie #7 - Chocolate Espresso Crinkles

I'm sorry I'm so late in posting today's cookie.  Everyone knows today was Father's Day, so today I spent my time catering to my husband's every whim.  Well, not really.  Mostly, I kept the girls out of his hair while he smoke a beef brisket and chicken on his grills in our backyard.  The smell of the mesquite, apple and hickory wafted through the house starting bright and early at seven a.m.  The result: a delectable dinner and a super happy Daddy.  So, Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.
Now, onto the cookies.
These cookies were Corey's request for Father's Day.  Right around the time I first made these cookies, I was fighting some serious insomnia.  I couldn't figure out why I was staying up until after 1 am when I normally am in bed around 10. 
Yeah.  Chocolate ESPRESSO....and I don't normally drink coffee. 
So, I'm not very cautious about how many of these guys I eat after 8 pm. 

Chocolate Espresso Crinkles

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (I used semisweet), melted & cooled
1 tbsp milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar, for coating

In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.  With an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg until well combined.  Mix in cooled chocolate. 
With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture, then milk, until just combined.
Flatten dough into a disc and wrap in plastic.  Freeze until firm (about an hour).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll dough into 1" balls, coat in powdered sugar.  Place on parchment lined baking sheets, about 2" apart. 
Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, rotating the sheet pans halfway through the baking time.  The cookies will be soft to the touch, but they should spread and the coating should crack.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments: