Friday, June 25, 2010

Cookie #12 - Cinnamon Toast Crunch

While researching cereal-themed cookies, I came across this great recipe at Maple <3 Spice, a vegan food blog.  These cookies were just so stinking adorable, I knew I had to adapt them for this experiment.  Sure, I could've gone the vegan route, but hey, I like me some butter.  Some real, delicious, fatty butter.  Yum. 
So, I made some adjustments and topped the shortbread with a crunchy cinnamon topping and sweet drizzle to mimic the cereal. 
The worst part of these cookies is that fact that they take THIRTY MINUTES to bake and the smell of cinnamon goodness wafts through the house calling to you......  You have to be patient.  Trust me.  It's worth it. 

Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup AP flour

Topping: 
2 tbsp turbinado sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk

Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg yolk.  Sift together cornstarch and flour, add to butter/sugar/egg.  Form the dough into a log.  Shape the log so it's rounded on one side and straight on the other three.  Using a chopstick (or unsharpened pencil like I did) make two indents on either side of the log towards to rounded top.  Chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Slice the cookies into 1/4" slices and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for 30 minutes or until edges are slightly browned.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Whisk powdered sugar and milk together into a thin glaze.  After the cookies cool, drizzle with glaze. 

The picture posted was taken right before baking.  I chilled the dough really well after slicing and before baking and they did not spread at all.  They retained their sliced bread shape perfectly.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Hi Maggie, thanks for the e-mail -they look great! Thanks for the link back too :-) Love the idea for the topping as well. I just might have to make these again!!