Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cookie #27 - Colorado Chocolate Snowcaps

Recently, one of my nearest and dearest friends picked up her roots and moved to Colorado.  Denver doesn't know how lucky it is to have Elena (and Brian, too).  I miss her terribly.  Even though I didn't see her as often as I'd like (we lived over an hour from each other), it was nice to know she was there if I needed her.  She still is and I have to remind myself she's only a phone call/email/text away.  I'm happy for her and the new life she and her hubby are making for themselves. 

When I think of Colorado, I think of snow.  The snow capped mountains hovering over the towns and cities.  I found it fitting that Colorado's cookies should represent that.  These cookies have a decadent chocolate flavor.  Crispy and sweet on the outside, deep, dark and rich on the inside. 

Colorado's Chocolate Snowcaps

2 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used 60% )
1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Melt bittersweet chocolate over a double boiler and set aside to cool.
Cream butter and sugar.  Mix in eggs until well combined.  Add cooled chocolate and mix well.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
Transfer dough to a sheet of plastic wrap and wrap tightly.  Refrigerate for at least one hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roll dough into 1" balls and then in powdered sugar, twice.  I like to roll all the balls first, then roll them all in the powdered sugar individually the first time, then again.  This makes a nice thick coating of powdered sugar.
Place about 2" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies have spread and the coating has crackled.  The cookies will look underdone and soft to the touch - you want them that way.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To store these cookies, don't stack them on top of each other.  They are very soft and will stick to one another.  I store them in a rectangular resealable container with a piece of parchment between the layers - if they last that long!  They are so delicious and really rich - super good with a scoop of good vanilla ice cream.  Yum!

No comments: