Sunday, July 4, 2010

Cookie #21 - Alabama Butter Pecan

This cookie starts the first of 50 cookies I have planned: one for each of the United States. Each cookie will be representative if it's state. Whether it's a food the state is known for or a recipe that is traditional with it's residents.
For Alabama, I've used the state nut: pecan. The result is a rich, buttery, pecan cookie. I, unfortunately, was not able to taste test these as I am allergic to pecans. My trusted taste testers insured me they were yummy.



Alabama Butter Pecan

1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Cream butter and brown sugar. Mix in egg until well blended.
Add flour and salt until well blended. Stir in pecans.  Cover and refrigerate for about 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Roll one inch pieces of dough into balls and place 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets. Flatten balls with the bottom of a glass dipped in granulated sugar.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 

1 comment:

Disneypal said...

I love this idea - I expect you might have something "peachy" when you get to my state - but you might also have something with "peanuts"

Looking forward to seeing all 50 states !