Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cookie #33 - Illinois Lincoln Logs

I have NO idea how I did this, but I seemed to have skipped cookie #33!!!!  At first, I thought I missed an entire day, but I didn't - I just jumped from cookie #32 to #34.  I'm convinced it was because I was so excited about the checkered flags, but in reality, it was problem just my mommy brain.  I'm constantly striving for that perfect balance between all the different aspects of my life - work, kids, husband.  For some reason, the summer just seems to add extra pressure.  I'm menu planning for summer parties, prepping for our vacation in three weeks (yippee!), and making sure Sydney has all her necessities for daycamp in addition to my regular stuff.  It's no wonder I missed Illinois. 

Illinois = the Land of Lincoln.  I'm immediately reminded of Lincoln Logs.  I never had them as toys growing up - I was more of a Tinker-Toy kinda gal.  These cookies are dense and super chocolatey.  They have a great texture - not to dry and not too moist - and the chocolate chips add some creaminess.  The original recipe I found called for a frosting on the cookies.  I initially thought the cookies didn't need it - they were sweet enough - so I skipped it.  In retrospect, I wish I'd frosted them.  They needed just a bit more sweet to balance the bitterness of the chocolate.  Frosted, I think they'd look a little like the buche de Noel I make every year for Christmas.


Illinois Lincoln Logs

1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweeted cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Cream brown sugar and shortening together until fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla until well mixed. 
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. 
Add half the flour mixture to the sugar mixture until well mixed. 
Add water. 
Add remaining flour until just combined. 
Stir in chocolate chips. 
Chill dough for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Roll dough into 2" logs and place about 2" apart on parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake for 7-9 minutes until set.  Transfer to wire rack to cool.



No comments: