Thursday, July 29, 2010

Cookie #46 - Montana MONSTER Cookies

I was first heard of these cookies it was from my husband's college buddy Jim and his wife Tricia.  They talked up these cookies so much that I had to try them myself. 

Imagine my excitement when I was searching for Montana cookies and this recipe came up in several results.  Initially, I was going to save them for October and Halloween week.  Since I love these cookies so much, the second the name graced my laptop screen I got a craving.  Montana Monster Cookies it is!

These are some serious monster cookies.  From the size of the measurements to the size of the cookies. Each cookie is about 4".  What's funny is, they're not overly sweet.  The peanut butter and oats really balance out the sugar.  You can add whatever you want to these cookies, too.  I've seen different recipes that use different dried fruits like cranberries and blueberries, Reese's Pieces, white chocolate chips, toffee chips, peanuts, walnuts - anything you'd like mixed into a cookie.  I kept mine simple - semisweet chocolate chips, raisins and M&Ms. 

What's also great is that this recipe contains NO flour.  Now, I don't know much about gluten-allergies, but I assume the lack of flour would make these cookies gluten-free.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Now, obviously, this makes a TON of cookies.  Feel free to halve the recipe - I've done it before and it works better.  I halved it the first time I made them because the initial ingredient measurements wouldn't fit in my KitchenAid.  When I mentioned this to Tricia, she said she actually mixes the dough by hand.  Her reasoning is that if she does the actualy physical labor, she can eat more cookies.  I like that thinking. 

I also have this philosophy that if a cookie contains good for you stuff like oatmeal, peanut butter and raisins, you can totally eat them for breakfast.  Let's just say I ate Monster cookies for breakfast for about a week. 

If you're going to mix these by hand, be very certain that your butter and peanut butter are room temperature before starting.  It will make mixing the dough much easier. 

Montana MONSTER Cookies

1 cup softened butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups packed brown sugar
3 cups chunky peanut butter (you can use smooth if that's your preference)
6 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
9 cups quick cooking oats
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups M&M's
3/4 cups raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, cream butter, peanut butter and sugars together until creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Add vanilla extract, baking soda and salt.  Stir in oats until well combined.  Fold in chocolate chips, M&Ms and raisins. 
Drop by 1/4 cups full onto parchment line baking sheets, about 3" apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges just start to turn golden.  Cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes to allow the cookies to set before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Keep the cookies tightly covered to ensure they don't dry out. 

1 comment:

Kendall said...

YUMMY!!! I am definitely making these!! In fact I'm printing out your post right now!!