Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cookie #10 - Honey Nut Cheerios

For this cookie, I attempted to capture the sweet, crunchy, nuttiness of the classic Cheerio flavor Honey Nut.  Using a peanut butter cookie as the base, I mixed in some honey, honey-roasted peanuts and, of course, Cheerios.  I used the original oat Cheerios instead of the Honey Nut.  Since I was using the cookie to provide the honey nut flavor, I didn't want to over power it with the Honey Nut Cheerios, too.

My husband enjoyed them, though he felt they were a little dry.  I didn't think so, because I like a drier peanut butter cookie.  When I formed the cookies, I flattened half the batch like a traditional peanut butter cookie and kept the other batch in the ball shape.  Both worked out well.

Honey Nut Cheerio Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups Cheerios
3/4 cup honey roasted peanuts 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream butter, peanut butter, sugar and honey together.  Mix in egg and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.  Add to the butter/egg mixture in batches mixing well after each addition.  Fold in cheerios and peanuts.

Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake for 12-15 minutes until they just start to turn golden brown.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments: