Monday, August 16, 2010

Cookie #56 - Cleo's Oklahoma Buffalo Chip Cookies

I'm so excited about these cookies! 

Why you ask? 
Because they come with a story! 

I LOVE stories!!

This recipe was sent to me by a member of the NSBR message board at Two Peas in a Bucket.  I've been a member of this community for over 7 years.  It's an interesting mix to women (and some men) .  They've offered me some great, and not so great, advice over the years.  They were there with words of encouragement when I was first dealing with my daughters developmental delay.  They make me laugh, they make me cry.  It's a great place and I'm happy to be part of it. 

When I first started this blog, I asked my friends, the "Peas" as they're called, for help coming up with the recipes for the states.  I was so excited when one member sent me this lovely story about her grandmother, Cleo Holloman, who made these cookies for Oklahoma State 75th Anniversary Celebration.  She writes:

"This was my grandmother's recipe that she made for the Oklahoma state 75th anniversary celebration. From what I understand each county extension homemakers group did a special tribute at their county fair booth and she made these cookies. That's one reason the recipe makes so darn many cookies.  She sent these to church camp and 4-H camp with the kids from my hometown as snacks for years as well."

Cleo passed away last September at almost 93-years old. 

When I read this recipe and the story that accompanied it, I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that THIS was my Oklahoma cookie.  I can tell you, Cleo's recipe doesn't disappoint. 
These are FANTASTIC cookies.  I made them tonight and the smell of them is still fresh in the air.  I'm fighting the urge to get up and get another one. 
They're sweet and soft in the middle with crunchy edges and, oh yeah, 
THEY ARE HUGE! 
They only advice I received when making these cookies was to make them BIG.  So I did. 
The cookies spread to a whopping 5 or 6"!! 

 
 
Cleo's Oklahoma Buffalo Chip Cookies

2 Sticks margarine (I used butter because I had it on hand)
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup pecans
2 cup cornflakes
1 cup coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt together butter and shortening. Cream in brown sugar, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, soda & baking powder. Mix in oats, cornflakes, coconut, chocolate chips and pecans. Mix all together until well combined.
Drop by 1/4 cups full onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  You will only be able to fit 6 cookies per sheet (I used full sized sheet pans).  Bake for 15 minutes or until the edges are golden.

No comments: