Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cookie #32 - Idaho Potato Chip Cookies

I find it intersting that Idaho is nicknamed the "Gem State" because nearly every gem known has been found there.  That's pretty darn cool.  I've never known Idaho to be famous for gems, just potatoes - and boy, do I love potatoes.  I can only think of one way I don't like potatoes:  potato salad (and that's only because of my irrational fear of mayonnaise. 
I heard about potato chip cookies quite a few years ago during a cookie swap.  I thought the idea was intriguing.  I'm a fan of chocolate covered potato chips, so why not in a cookie? 
I'm going to be brutully honest here.  I was not impressed.  I thought the potato chips got soggy - like potato chips do after being left in a bowl all day outside at a barbeque.  Kind of squishy.  Perhaps it was the humidity or the moisture from the cookie in general.  The flavor itself was good.  Salty and sweet and not at all potatoey.  It was just the texture that threw me off.

Idaho Potato Chip Cookies

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup crushed potato chips

Preheat oven to 350F.
Cream together butter and sugar until smooth.  Mix in egg.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt, then stir into butter mixture. Stir in potato chips.
Drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 2" apart.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, until light golden.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments: