Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cookie #44 - Mississippi Mud Cookies

I found this cookie to be quite interesting.  When I first set out to making this, I was expecting a deep, chocolatey cookie.  Something crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.  Something like a chocolate lava cake in a cookie or something like my mom's brownie drops (look for that recipe in December). 
This is not that cookie.
While crispy on the outside and crispy on the inside, it lacked that deep, dark chocolate I was craving.  Yet, it's quite yummy.  It tastes almost EXACTLY like a cup of hot cocoa.  I think they'd be far better with a bittersweet chocolate, though.
Now, a word about the marshmallows.  Please, please, please do yourself a favor and buy good marshmallows.  I made the awful mistake of buying a store-brand marshmallow for this cookie.  The marshmallows were almost crunchy.  They were super sticky and just plain strange.  Definitely not a sweet, fluffy marshmallow you'd like to skewer and roast over an open flame. 
After I discovered my marshmallow flub, I chose to bake half the batch without the marshmallows.  They were still yummy, but really needed that toasty marshmallow on top. 
Since I've never actually had a Mississippi Mud Pie, I cannot say if these cookies perfectly mimic the flavor of one.  I always imagined a MMP to be far more chocolatey than these cookies. 

Mississippi Mud Cookies

2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Miniature marshmallows (you need 3 per cookie, I didn't measure how much I used, but I didn't even make a dent in the bag I bought)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in a double boiler and set aside to cool.
Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Add vanilla.
In a seperate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  Add flour mixture to egg/butter mixture slowly until just combined.  Don't overmix.  Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets.  Nestle three mini marshmallows into the top of each cookie.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set. 
Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool. 

No comments: