Monday, September 27, 2010

Cookie #88 - Marzipan Cookies

Favorite Taste Tester #1, aka my husband Corey, LOVES marzipan. 
When I bought the tube of almond sugar love home from the grocery store, I had to hide it
Usually, I can just safely write on the package of something with black marker: 
"FOR A RECIPE! DO NOT EAT!" 
I didn't trust my Sharpie warning to ward off a hungry, scavenging Corey. 

This inspiration for this cookie comes from a blog I found, Jeena's Kitchen.  After adapting the recipe for my kitchen, I think they came out pretty good.  I did cover my marzipan balls with a little more batter than shown with the original recipe.  The result was a larger cookie with a little nugget of marzipan inside.

I made these cookies in my food processor fitted with a steel blade.  I was inspired by an episode of Nigella Feasts.  I watched as she made cupcakes in a food processor and basically just dumped all the ingredients in and gave it a whirl.  While I wouldn't recommend it for all cookie recipes, it worked pretty well for these.

The flavor of the cookie was quite nice.  Sweet and spicy - much like an oatmeal cookie without the oatmeal texture.  I may try working with this batter in different ways.  I have a few ideas I'm anxious to try. 

For now, we have marzipan goodness for you...

Marzipan Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp milk or heavy cream (I had heavy cream on hand so used that)
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 tsp vanilla
7 oz package of marzipan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Roll marzipan into balls about 1/2" and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
In the bowl of a food processor, cream butter and sugar together.
Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Pulse to combine. 
Add milk (or cream), egg whites, egg and vanilla.  Mix until well combined. 
Drop teaspoons full of batter over each ball of marzipan.  To prevent the balls from rolling away, slightly flatten them.  I didn't do this and ended up with some sloppy looking cookies since I had to chase them around the sheet pan a little. 
Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

ENJOY!!


No comments: