Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Cookie #75 - Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs

Since the Girl Scouts discontinued the Lemon Pastry Cremes, I had to find a new favorite Girl Scout cookie.  The Lemon Chalet Creams don't come anywhere near the LPCs.  The cookies were lightly glazed and the filling was sweet and tart.  Oh, how I loved them and could eat an entire box in one sitting. 

Now that I think about it, it's probably a good thing they stopped making them. 

Then I discovered the Peanut Butter Patty.  Bad news, I tell you.  Bad, bad news. 

Once I buy a box (or three) they instantly go into the freezer to "ripen."  Once frozen, I eat the chocolate & cookie around the edges leaving a perfect mini tower of cookie and peanut butter topped with just enough chocolate

Just like the Samoas, I used a shortbread base for these.  Again, I didn't want to use a sugar cookie because I was afraid of the overwhelming sugar.  The texture just wouldn't be right, either.  The Peanut Butter Patty cookie is crunchy and buttery, but not at all sweet.  The shortbread I used was good, but I think I really needed a crispier cookie for this.  Even so, they were yummy! 

The other problem I had with these cookies was the chocolate coating.  It wasn't really a problem, more of an annoyance.  I used chocolate chips for the coating.  I melted it with a little shortening to aid in keeping the chocolate smooth and easy to work with. 

The problem? 

The chocolate didn't set as well as I would have liked.  These cookies had to be kept in the refrigerator with a piece of parchment between the layers.  The chocolate started to melt the second it was left at room temperature.  The next time I do this, I'll use candy coating, not chocolate chips, and I think I'll have better success. 

For the filling of these cookies, I made half using the same filling I used for the DoSiDos and half using just plain peanut butter.  They were good either way.  I didn't have a preference for either one.  It really depends on how much time you want to invest in these already time intensive cookies. 

They really are worth it though...


Peanut Butter Patties

Cookie Base:


1 cup butter
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Filling*:

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk
2-2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar

OR

About 3/4 cup peanut butter

Coating**:

1 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoons vegetable shortening.

First, make the cookies:
Beat butter and sugar together until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Sift together flour and salt. Add slowly to butter mixture until well combined. Flatten dough into a disc, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Roll chilled dough out on a well floured surface to about 1/4" thick. Cut out dough with a 2" circle cookie cutter. Transfer circles to parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are just lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling.

Cream butter and peanut butter together until smooth and well combined. Mix in vanilla and milk.
With the mixer on low, gradually add powdered sugar until creme reaches desired consistency. If the mixture gets too firm, add a little milk. Too thin, add more powdered sugar.

Place a teaspoon or so of the peanut butter filling on each cookie.  Place cookies on a cookie sheet and transfer to the freezer for 15-20 minutes, or until the peanut butter is firm.

Place chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on half power at 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Be sure to stir well in between so as not to scorch the chocolate.

Remove cookies from the freezer and dip each cookie into the chocolate until well coated.  I used a fork to dip them.  Gently tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to shake off the excess chocolate.  Place the dipped cookie on the cold cookie sheet.  Once all the cookies are dipped, put them back in the freezer to harden. 

Enjoy!

*this recipe makes MORE than enough to fill the cookies, I kept the excess and used it as a dip for chocolate.....okay, I ate it with a spoon, but you catch my drift.

**this is the chocolate I used for these cookies.  If you choose to use the chocolate coating, simply melt according to the package directions.  If you choose the chocolate chip route, you may need more than 1 cup, depending on the amount of cookies you've made.  1 cup was enough for me to dip around 15 cookies. 

No comments: