Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cookie #86 - Lemon Cookies

I've mentioned before, my favorite Girl Scout cookie of all time was the Lemon Pastry Cremes.  They were this wonderfully delicious lemon sandwich cookie. 
I know what you're thinking:  But the Girl Scouts sell a lemon cookie!
No.
The Lemon Chalet Cremes are NOT the same. 
Let me 'splain..
Lemon Pastry Cremes was made up of these two really delicate, subtly flavored lemon cookies.  They were flaky and lightly coated with a sweet glaze.  Inside was the most wonderful, creamy, lemony filling.  The lemon flavor wasn't too overpowering, but rather just enough. 
I've been dying to recreate this cookie for some time now.  To be honest, I know I'll never be able get an exact replica of my beloved cookie.  I think I'm romanticizing the flavor - even if I tasted one of those cookies now, it wouldn't be as good as I remember. 
These cookies, however, were quite delicious. 
They were very lemony.  In fact, I think maybe a bit too lemony.  The cookie was very flavorful with the addition of the lemon zest, I don't really think the lemon juice was needed for the glaze.  They were still mouth-puckering good.  Because of the lemon flavor, I chose not to sandwich these cookies.  I had the feeling that sandwiching these cookies with even more lemon goodness would just kill it.  Sometimes you just have to know when to stop.

Lemon Cookies

3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 baking soda
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup butter
1 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift together flours, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.  Add egg yolks and lemon zest until well combined.
Mix in lemon juice and vanilla.
Mix in flour mixture slowly until just combined.
Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Roll tablespoons full of dough into balls, place balls 2" apart onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
Using slightly moistened fingers, flatten each ball into a 2" disk. 
Bake for 15-18 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through. 

If desired, pour lemon glaze over cookies while still warm.

Lemon Glaze

1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp light corn syrup

Whisk ingredients together and pour over warm cookies. 

No comments: