Friday, September 10, 2010

Cookie #77 - Shortbread

Since I used a shortbread base for the Samoas and Peanut Butter Patties, I thought I'd share with you how I bake just plain shortbread.  There's something so comforting about these cookies.  They're sweet and flaky and buttery rich.  Eating a homemade shortbread cookie reminds me of snow days and Christmas Eve. 

The best part is how super easy they are to make! 
I promise. 

If you've never made a cookie before, these are the perfect starter cookie.  I can't wait until my girls are old enough so I can teach them how to make these. 

I hope you love them as much as I do.


Shortbread Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups flour
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg whisked with 1 tsp cool water

Sift together flour, sugar and salt. 
Cream butter until smooth.  Add flour mixture until just combined.

You can bake this one of two ways:

Version #1:  Press dough into an 8x8" pan.  Using a fork, pierce the dough all over.  Brush with egg wash.  Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.  While still warm, cut dough into squares.  Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 

Version #2:  After the dough is formed, knead it lightly and form into a ball.  Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into a disk.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until 1/4" thick.  Cut out cookies in desired shapes and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Brush with egg wash.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Rotate the cookie sheets halfway through baking time.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 

Enjoy!

No comments: