Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cookie #17 - Chocolate Ginger Black Sesame

What happened? I posted yesterday's cookies last night around 9:30pm EST. I looked at the blog and the cookies were posted, but when I looked this morning, it was gone. GONE. Not even saved as a draft! Poof! It disappeared somewhere in cyberspace never to be seen again.  Sigh. So, instead I bring you yesterday's cookie today and today's cookie will be posted later this evening.

For this cookie, I used three forms of ginger: fresh, candied, and ground.  The spicy ginger flavor lends itself well to the cookie, but the overall result was just okay. I found the frosting to be too sweet to carry the root's strong flavor forcing me to overcompensate by adding MORE ginger.  The flavor was good, but like I said: very sweet and very gingery.
I garnished the cookies with some black sesame seeds. I initially thought they'd be insignificant and not add much, if any, flavor. I was wrong. Just that small amount of seeds on top added a toasty undertone that complemented the cookie's finish.

Chocolate Ginger Black Sesame Cookie

1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 recipe for Vanilla Buttercream (or one can prepared white frosting)
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1/2 cup candied ginger, diced
Black sesame seeds

Prepare the chocolate cookies as directed adding the ground ginger with the rest of the dry ingredients.  Slice about 1/4" and bake as directed. Allow to cool.
For frosting, prepare as directed whisking in the fresh ginger when you cream the butter and folding in the candied ginger at the end. 
Frost each cookie and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

No comments: