Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cookie #18 - Chocolate Cayenne

Holy spicy cookies, Batman!  This is the second time I've attempted a chocolate/cayenne recipe.  I originally tried a similar version of this cookie a few years ago.  The recipe called for a TABLESPOON of cayenne pepper.  It was just too powerful.  The heat from the cayenne hit you almost immediately and the whole experience was less than enjoyable.  With these cookies, I only use a TEASPOON of cayenne for the whole batch.  The final product is a chocolate cookie with a spicy finish.  The heat doesn't hit you upfront, but rather builds on your palate.  I chose to keep the cookies plain - no frosting or topping.  In the future, I may roll the dough into balls and then in turbinado sugar, flattening with the bottom of a glass before baking. 
I have to warn you, if you don't like hot foods, this is NOT the cookie for you.  My husband brought the batch to work in a baggie clearly labeled:  CAYENNE.  One of his coworkers popped one in her mouth and was not so pleased when the heat hit.

No comments: