Monday, July 5, 2010

Cookie #22 - Arizona Agave Oatmeal & what happened to Alaska?

When I think of Arizona, I think of the Grand Canyon, roadrunners and cactus.  I toyed with the idea of using actual cactus in the cookie, but just couldn't wrap my head around it.  They I thought about using cactus pear, which proved to be difficult to find in this part of PA.  Then I had a brainstorm:  Agave. 
The agave plant is used to make a sweetener that has a very low glycemic index and therefore healtier for you.  I used the sweetener in place of white sugar in the cookie.  It just turned out that this recipe ended up being vegan as well, since I didn't use any butter or eggs.  The cookie is soft and chewy and nutty.  I think increasing the baking time by a few minutes and flattening them slightly more would create a crispier cookie.  I think they tasted just like a granola bar.  I imagine you could add any combination of dried fruit and nuts - whatever your favorites are.  I used what I had on hand:  almonds, coconut and raisins.

Arizona Agave Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup AP flour
3/4 cup chopped almonds
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup flake coconut
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Add agave, oil and vanilla and stir well to combine.  Drop by rounded tablespoons onto a parchment lined baking sheet and flatten with the bottom of a glass or back of spoon.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


Okay, now I KNOW I skipped Alaska.  Alaska's cookie is going to utilize sourdough.  Since I don't know of anywhere in my area to buy a sourdough starter and no one I know has one, I had to make my own.  Unfortunatley, this takes 48-hours to create and with the hubbub of Independence Day, I forgot to set it up.  So, the starter is bubbling away in a glass bowl and I moved on to Arizona.  I will post Alaska's cookies once the starter is ready - either Wednesday or Thursday. 

No comments: