Monday, September 20, 2010

Cookie #84 - Amish Drop Sugar Cookies

Um, hello? Where the heck did I go? It's like I disappeared into cyber-cookie-space. Did you miss me?

In truth, I have been an emotional wreck for the past 4 days. It just seemed like one thing after another was going wrong and I was just fed up. All I wanted to do was hide, so hide I did....but, I also baked. Baking helps me unwind. It helps me escape from my crazy daily life and forget my problems
 
Now, before you get too worried, it was nothing serious.  In fact, now that I look back on it, it was all quite petty and I feel almost silly for the way I reacted to the situation.  I had some issues with my 1960's era Singer sewing machine.  When I inquired about getting the part to repair it, I was told it could take up to 6 weeks for the part to come in IF they could get the part at all.  I was mad.  How am I supposed to sew Halloween costumes now?  I overreacted.  More things were broken.  Tears were shed.  I acted like a three-year-old and pouted for the next two days.  Finally, after a visit to another sewing machine repair shop, a $1.50 spool pin and a little help from a drill, my husband (who is a saint for putting up with me) fixed the machine. 
 
Enough about that - let's talk cookies.  First up - Amish Drop Sugar Cookies. 
 
As I was making them, my husband asked me: "What makes them Amish?" 
 
Why sour cream, of course!  The sour cream makes these cookies soft and moist. 
 
The recipe, which was given to me by a PA native, didn't call for a frosting or glaze for the cookie. 
I'm going to be honest - they need one.  The cookies themselves were quite sweet, but rather bland.  I was really craving a sweet, creamy, sugary topping.  I toyed with the idea of different flavors of frosting - vanilla, chocolate, lemon.  Unfortunately, the batch of cookies didn't last long enough for me to frost them.  Next time...
 
Amish Drop Sugar Cookies
 
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
3 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.  Mix in eggs, beat well.  Add sour cream and vanilla, beat well.  Sift together dry ingredients and add to the butter mixture, mixing until well incorporated.  Drop rounded tablespoons full onto parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn color. 
Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments: