Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cookie #82 - Biscotte d'Vino

Whenever I'm sitting by a crystal blue Italian stream kissing Valentino, I like to enjoy a nice glass of red wine (bonus points if you get the music reference).  In between being fed grapes by some Italian stallion, I enjoy dipping one of these cookies into the wine. 
Okay, not really, but I do love these cookies with my morning beverage of choice, Diet Coke - yes I'm one of those. Don't judge. 
They're not very sweet and have just a hint of anise flavor.  They have an interesting crumbly texture, yet they aren't dry.  The recipe below makes enough biscotte to feed a small Italian village.  I usually halve the recipe and it yields over 2 dozen cookies. 



Biscotte d'Vino

6 eggs + 1 for egg wash
1/2 cup oil (I used canola oil, but I'm curious what olive oil would do to the final product)
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp anise extract (I'm sure almond would be good, too)
4 tbsp (yes, tablespoons) baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups + 1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Beat 6 eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla & anise extract together until well mixed and light yellow.
Sift 4 cups flour, baking powder and salt.  Add to egg mixture in batches, until just combined.
Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup flour over the dough and knead it in gently with your hands.
Roll tablespoons of dough into logs about 3" long.  Shape into an "S" shape.  Place on parchment lined baking sheets about 2" apart. 
Beat remaining egg with 1 tsp cool water.  Brush cookies with egg wash.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until puffed and golden brown.

No comments: